A pit bike can go 75 mph fast, depending on the size of the engine it has. Whether you are riding on low gear or high gear and what kind of trail you are riding the bike are two other factors that affect the bike's speed.
Pit bikes are smaller than other off-road bikes, and they also have smaller engines. That is why their speed also remains on the lower side. The speed of a pit bike can be as low as 15 mph. But by shifting the gear, you can always make it go faster.
The average speed of pit bike
The average speed of a pit bike ranges from 25 mph to 60 mph. But the speed increases and decreases in terms of changing the gear. When you are driving on a low gear, a 50 cc pit bike will speed up to only 15 mph.
- But transferring it into the higher gear will increase the speed up to 30 mph. A similar thing happens with 70 cc, 110 cc, 125 cc, 150 cc, or 250 cc.
- But the key factor, which makes the difference between the speed is the engine size. The larger the engine is, the more speed the pit bike will produce. Like the average speed of a 50 cc pit bike remains around 25 mph.
- But the speed of a 150 cc bike goes up to 60 mph. There is a detailed description of the engines in the next section of the article.
- Another thing that affects the speed is the track you are riding on. Although pit bikes are made for off-road racings, they are not suitable for rough and tough conditions. The bumpy conditions don’t give as much speed to the bike like it would have given in plain conditions.
- In a smoother track, the speed can reach its top peak like 60 mph or 70 mph. But having obstacles on the way will surely disturb the ride and there will be a decrement in the speed.
15 – 20 mph
15 – 30 mph
20 – 35 mph
40 – 50 mph
45 – 55 mph
55 – 65 mph
60 – 70 mph
65 – 75 mph
70 – 80 mph
Pit Bike Engine
The reason behind suggesting pit bikes for teenagers is the smaller size. But more than that, these bikes have more control. Pit bikes come with a four-stroke engine. Having a four-stroke engine means, to complete an engine cycle, the bike takes four strokes or piston movements.
- It doesn’t matter what size of engine you are using in the bike, all of them will be four-stroke engines.
- Four-stroke engines produce more reliable power compared to two-stroke engines.
- The controlling power of a four-stroke engine is pretty much easier than two-stroke engines.
- The teenagers or inexperienced off-road riders should go for a four-stroke pit bike as they can manage them conveniently.
- For a comfortable ride on the terrain roads, a four-stroke bike works in a better way.
Speed of kids pit bikes
Because of the smaller size, easy controlling feature, smaller engines, and slower speeds, often presents pit bikes as off-road bikes for the younger riders. Commonly, the size of pit bikes engine ranges from 50cc to 150cc. But some higher and a bit lower engine bikes are also available.
- 40 cc: 40cc engine is the smallest engine used in pit bikes and it is a rare one. The speed of a 40cc pit bike ranges goes up to 20 mph maximum.
- 50 cc: The most common size of engine used in pit bikes is 50cc. Depending on the trail you are riding the speed ranges from 15 mph to 30 mph. But on average, the speed remains around 25 mph.
- 70 cc: 70cc engines are also not so common in pit bikes. It produces a bit higher speed than 50cc, which goes up to 35 mph.
- 110 cc: Other than 50cc, another common engine size used in pit bikes is 110cc. The speed of this bike ranges from 40 mph to 50 mph.
- 125 cc: You can add more speed to your pit bike by increasing the engine size and a 125cc engine can produce around 55 mph. However, the average speed remains around 50 mph.
Adult pit bikes speed
This classification of kids pit bikes and adults pit bikes doesn't mean these engines are only made of adult ones or kids specifically. A larger engine produces more speed, and it is a bit difficult to control than the smaller one. The speed of the 50cc bike and the 150cc bike is not similar.
- 125 cc: This engine is suitable for adults also, and the speed is shown in the previous section.
- 140 cc: The top speed of a 140cc pit bike ranges from 55 mph to 65 mph. The average speed remains around 60 mph though.
- 150 cc: In terms of using larger engines and having more speed, 150cc is the most common one. It can produce speed up to 70 mph. However, the average speed also remains around 65 mph, which is better than other engines.
- 160 cc: A rare engine used in pit bikes is 160cc. But it comes with a better speed that goes up to 75 mph.
- 250 cc: 250cc engine is the mightiest engine used in pit bikes. Here, the speed ranges from 70 mph to 80. The average speed stays around 75 mph.
What is a pit bike used for
Pit bikes are used for pit racing on pit tracks. It has now become a popular racing sport among kids and teenagers. A pit bike is a small-sized, two-wheeled motorized vehicle that is used specifically for pit racing. It is very much similar to a dirt bike but not as strong as them.
Mainly pit bikes are used for pit racing. What is more needed in pit racing is having control over the vehicle. And as pit bikes are smaller and lightweight, they are easy to control.
Riding in plain off-road tracks
Pit bikes are one kind of dirt bike, which is illegal on roads. But unlike dirt bikes, you can’t ride a pit bike on a rough terrain road. Pit bike works well on plain tracks because the tires are smaller.
The smaller, lightweight design and easy-to-control feature make this off-road bike an ideal choice for kids and teenagers. Many experts said pit bikes are specialized for kids. But actually, this is not the case. The smaller size suits the shorter guys, which enables kids to ride on them comfortably.
Tires used in pit bikes
The tires used in pit bikes don’t provide a stronger grip on rough, uneven terrain roads. The main reason behind this is that they don’t have any layer of rubber around the tires. That is why pit bikes are ideal for smoother surfaces other than uneven ones.
The size of the tires ranges from 12 to 14 inches in diameter. The front tire is slightly bigger than the rear one. It means you will have 14 inches of tire up front and 12 inches of tire on the backside.
How to make a pit bike faster
If you are concerned about the speed of your pit bike and want a bit higher speed, you can use a proper size combination of the tires in the bike. There are some other things you can do about this.
- For better speed, you should use the larger tire upfront.
- You can replace the older exhaust system with a performance exhaust system.
- Choosing a bigger carburetor depending on the engine size can also increase the speed.
- Replace the older air-filter with a newer one for having maximum airflow in the engine.
- Keep the engine area as clean as possible.
What size of engine you have in your pit bike will control the speed of your bike. But having a higher speed won’t make the bike out of your control. Pit bikes are typically used thinking of having better control.
Last Updated on June 28, 2022 by fahad